Ice Dam Dangers
Icicles – Winter can create some beautiful scenes…Bright white snow, glistening frost on the trees. Even the frozen pond perfect for hockey. But icicles forming on the edges of your home should send up a warning flag.
Icicles hanging from the edges of your home are often the result of an ice dam formed when melting snow or ice flows down the roof and re-freezes. That recent beautiful snowfall can become a homeowner nightmare.
There are many approaches to resolving this issue, some more effective than others. Here are a few tips to get you through.
- Attic Ventilation – Be sure you have adequate ventilation at the eaves and ridge.
- Attic Insulation – Inspect and fix any missing or damaged insulation.
- Use Ice & Water Shield when re-roofing.
The best long term way to avoid ice dam formation and roof ice dam leaks: good ventilation and good insulation!
Looking for more immediate measures or solutions?
- Heat Tapes or Heat Cables – Tools like these will help melt channels in the existing ice. It’s not a great permanent fix, but its usually a good step if you’re having an issue that may result in leaking into the structure.
- Fix Air & Heat Leaks – Attics are cooler in the winter and a great time to look for missing or gaps in insulation. Look for dark marks that may be caused by air flow. Attending to these leaks can help prevent or resolve the exterior Ice Dams.
- Lower The Temperature – We know what you’re thinking…”Turn down the heat? You must be joking.” We’re not kidding. Making the house too warm while having improper insulation sends more heat into the attic which means more melting snow until it hits the colder roof edge and freezes.
- Remove the Ice – sounds simple right? There are all sorts of ideas out there to remove the ice that may have already built up on the edge of your roof. Which ever you choose, ALWAYS keep safety your first priority.