https://d135bwp39dz3xa.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2021/02/16013632/logo.png 0 0 Spectora https://d135bwp39dz3xa.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2021/02/16013632/logo.png Spectora2011-06-27 16:43:442011-06-27 16:43:44Pest Prevention Tips
Pest Prevention Tips
Here are a few easy steps you can take right now to stop pests and termites from invading your home:
- Seal cracks in your home’s exterior to help keep pests like ants, spiders and cockroaches from getting inside.
- Be sure all doors and windows are properly sealed with tight-fitting screens and weather stripping.
- Don’t leave uncovered food sitting out. It can attract flies that might land on it and spread harmful bacteria.
- Consider storing clothing in plastic boxes or pouches to prevent fabric pests from getting to them.
- Ensure that the attic and crawl space have sufficient ventilation. Proper ventilation creates an environment unsuitable for cockroaches and other pests. It also improves the heating and cooling efficiency of the home.
- Do not allow pet food to sit out overnight, indoors or outdoors.
- Remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, etc., around your home. They serve as a harborage for pests, especially rodents.
- Repair any roof or plumbing leaks as soon as possible. These leaks can allow termites to survive above ground in a house.
- Eliminate any wood-to-soil contact around your foundation and remove wood debris near your home.
- Prevent mulch and soil from touching the siding of your home. They make it much easier for termites to enter.
- Store firewood away from your home.
- Use mesh screens on all windows and doors, as well as in ventilation openings for attics and crawl spaces.
- Seal nail holes and cracks in exposed wood to help prevent easy access by drywood termites.
- Contract with a professional pest control company to regularly inspect your home. This will help detect termite activity and allow for prompt and proper treatment.